College of the Holy Cross

Founded 1843

Fr. James Fitton purchased the land on which the college stands, and started an academy for boys. He transferred the property to Boston's Bishop Benedict Fenwick, who wished to found a college. With the assistance of his fellow Jesuits, Fenwick's college opened its doors to students in November, 1843.


College of the Holy Cross


A. Kuzniewski, Thy Honored Name: A History of the College of the Holy Cross, 1843-1994