St. Charles Seminary College

Ellicott City and Catonsville, Maryland

Founded 1848

The Sulpicians founded St. Charles on land donated by the heirs of Charles Carroll. Louis Weichmann and John Surratt attended in the 1860s. Destroyed by fire in 1911, the school was rebuilt at Catonsville. Renamed St. Mary's Seminary College in 1969, the institution closed in 1977 and the buildings re-developed as a retirement community.